Hutterite Baptism. Baptism Day
(Before the prayer)
Q1. Do you now acknowledge the teachings of Jesus, which have been laid before you, as being the truth and the true foundation to salvation?
Q2. Do you believe in and agree with the twelve articles of our Christian Faith, and will you witness to them?
- I believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth
- And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord
- Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the virgin Mary
- Suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and buried
- He descended into Hell. The third day He rose again from the dead
- He ascended into heaven and sits on the right hand of God the Father Almighty
- From thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead
- I believe in the Holy Ghost
- I believe in the Christian church, the fellowship of saints
- The forgiveness of sins
- The resurrection of the body
- And the life everlasting, Amen.
Q3. Do you desire the prayer of intercession of the church so that God may forgive and remit the sins committed by you either knowingly or in ignorance?
Q4. Do you desire to yield, to give and to sacrifice yourself to the Lord God in the covenant of Christian baptism?
(Prayer) After this prayer, while kneeling, these questions.
Q5. Do you sufficiently understand the Word of God and acknowledge it as the only path to eternal life?
Q6. Do you truly and heartily repent of the sins which you committed either knowingly or in ignorance against God and do you desire to henceforth fear God, never more willingly to sin against God, and rather to suffer death than willfully sin against God?
Q7. Do you believe that your sins have been forgiven and remitted by God through Christ and the prayer of intercession of his people?
Q8. Do you desire to accept brotherly discipline and admonition and also to apply the same to others when needed?
Q9. Do you desire to yield, to give and to sacrifice yourself, body and soul with all that you have to the Lord God in heaven, and to yield in obedience to Christ and his church?
Q10. Do you desire to establish a covenant with God and with all his people and to be baptized on confession of your faith?
The minister, with his assistant, with pouring on of water speaks the following words: "On the confession of your faith I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. May God Almighty in heaven who has given you grace and mercy through the death of Christ and the prayer of his church clothe you with fortitude from on high and inscribe your name into the book of life, to preserve you in piety and faith until death. This is my wish to thee through Christ Jesus. Amen.
(With hand extended to individual) "Stand up my brother (sister) the Peace of God be with you."
(The individual receiving baptism) "The Lord be with us."